Tuesday, January 29, 2013

deep fried goat cheese? lamb pasta? banana split milkshake? YES PLEASE!

This past month I've been eating out much more than usual and feeling like a total pig. But the food was so delicious and absolutely worth it (I'm sorry body, but I can't help myself). Being Asian, I take pictures of my food so I can show everyone what I ate and make them feel jealous XD (especially Alex, mwuahahahahahaha!).

I went Imadake, a Japanese-style pub with my co-worker and childhood friend, Florence during the beginning of January. We actually went on the day I got fired from the job I got last month. It sucks but I wasn't happy there anyway so I believe it was kismet. Florence had gotten a job offer from another company so needless to say, we had much to celebrate.

We decided to order a bunch of dishes and share them amongst ourselves. We started off with a drink each (which I didn't take a picture of) and some yummy grub. My first was called Hello Kitty (how could I NOT order that?) and if I remember correctly, Florence ordered a mango tango or something. My drink was meh, nothing special but I loved Flo's! Really fruity, perfect for me ;)

Enough with the blah blah's onward with the food!


Classic Tempura

The first item that arrived was the shrimp tempura and it was yummy. It was scorching hot (a good sign since it means it's straight out of the vat of boiling oil) and as hungry as I was, I had to wait for it to cool down before biting into it.


Huge Oyster Mushrooms




Luckily, the oyster mushrooms arrived shortly after and I shoved several of them in my mouth. To be honest, I never has oyster mushrooms cooked so plainly before. Usually, it's with tons of sauce or there's such a small amount of it in the dish that I hardly taste it. But after eating it, I can definitely say I love oyster mushrooms!


Eel with rice in soup

I actually don't remember what the hell this was called but that's pretty much what it was. I wasn't a fan of this at all. Didn't like that the eel was lukewarm instead of hot (or cold, just pick one, not both!) and I found the soup uninteresting. It was also a little weird with the rice too, the flavours just didn't work for me but I'm glad I tried it anyway!

After we cleaned off all those plates, Flo and I wanted more food. We always want more food, if there's anything you should know about us, it's this:


You tell 'em Sarah Jessica Parker...although she looks like she doesn't eat.

Round 2 came with another round of drinks. I ordered the Lychitini (unimpressed) and I forgot what Flo ordered again...but it's the food that matters!


Deep fried chicken with wasabi mayonaise

THIS! I luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurved this dish! It tasted so much like the fried chicken Alex and I had in Shibuya. We kept going to this little dinky ramen place (even after we had supper, yes, we'd have TWO suppers when we were in Tokyo. It's no wonder I gained like 10 pounds during that trip but sooo worth it.) and we'd ALWAYS order a plate of deep fried chicken, a bowl of noodles for each of us and a plate of gyoza. I have been dreaming of those noodles (haven't found anything close to it yet) and THAT CHICKEN since I got back. I'm happy to say I found at least half of what I've been pinning for since I came back.

The wasabi sauce is AMAZING. It tastes exactly what it's named, except the wasabi is really subtle, almost like an afterthought. But the chicken! It doesn't look like much on the outside when when you bite into it, searing hot and delicious and juicy and omg I want some now. I almost wolfed down the whole plate but remembered my manners and left Flo a piece to try ;)


Ramen with egg

I know that's a lame title to give the dish but I can't remember for the life of me what this was called. It's obviously ramen but I think there was egg and pork in there...I wasn't too crazy about this one either.


Deep Fried Goat Cheese

Ok, anyone who knows me knows I LOVE cheese. Not only that, goat cheese is my FAVOURITE type of cheese of all time. So obviously, we HAD to order this. Luckily, it did not disappoint, it was PURE HEAVEN. It was searing hot but the cheese wasn't all mushy and melty inside (HOW DO THEY DO THAT?! What kind of witchcraft is this?). They added a nice touch with strawberry jam so that it's not too much of an overdose (pffft, as if you can overdose on cheese and goat cheese least of all).


Deep Fried Soft Shell Crab

I love seafood as well (well except mollusks and most of fish but I like crab, lobsters, shrimp that kind of thing). I didn't really see this on the menu but thankfully Flo did. The crab was really tasty and well...soft. At least you don't any hard pieces of crab stuck on your teeth, not only is it annoying but slightly painful too.

By this time, we were pretty full but decided to get another round of of drinks while we debated on whether we should get dessert or not. This time, I ordered the mango drink Flo had initially ordered and I forgot what she ordered again...We were both pretty happy by this point.


Taiyaki filled with Red Bean.

Haha! Did you think we were actually not going to get dessert?! After some debating, we decided to try this. I had Taiyaki in Beijing (surprisingly, and not Japan) and it was pretty good. Although I had the chocolate filled one (I don't like red bean), but I knew Flo liked red bean so I knew that she'd probably finish it if I couldn't.

I didn't like it but I did like the ice cream they had at the bottom and they also had the strawberry jam they put on the goat cheese puffs. They also put pieces of frosted flakes on the ice cream and that was really yummy. We didn't end up finishing the dessert though, we were too stuffed.

I'd definitely go back to this restaurant, and now I know what's good and what isn't so I won't have such a hard time choosing what to gorge on next time!

Between this meal and the next one I'm going to talk about, I actually went out again with Flo and some other colleagues from work (where I got fired) for Flo's goodbye meal. I had taken pictures of what I had but I deleted them because they weren't anything special. I just ordered deep fried chicken wings and ramen (It was a ramen place). I wasn't impressed with the food though.

Alex and I went to Ben & Florentine's last Thursday for brunch. They had a coupon where the second meal is half price so we decided to try it.


Eggs Benedict with Brie & Portebello Mushrooms

I used to always order crepes whenever I went to a breakfast/brunch restaurant. But then I decided to be adventurous and try eggs benedict and I fell in love. So now I always order eggs benedict. I can probably tell you where to get the best eggs benedict in Montreal/Laval.

This was alright, it wasn't horrible but it wasn't amazing either. But for the price, I'd say it's pretty good. There just something about it that didn't make me go crazy about it. I can't put my finger on it though. Alex loved it though.

While Alex was finishing his plate, I let him dip his tortilla on the leftover hollandaise sauce from mine. He showed me his tortilla with a piece of mushroom on it and said it looked like a happy caterpillar. It looks like a dinosaur to me.


Happy caterpillar or dinosaur? Or something else?

The last place I'm going to eat out this month is a restaurant I've been to once before (with Flo!). Based on my one-time experience, I loved it. The food was amazing and the service was awesome, not only that, the decor was so chic. Needless to say, I've been dying to go back and I finally have, 6 months after I first visited.

The restaurant I'm talking about is called Deville Dinerbar. They call themselves a diner but they're more like a fancy diner, gorgeous leather seats and you get a nightclub kind of vibe, minus the sweaty sleazing people. I went with Flo and Carolina, a previous co-worker.


Delicious Cheesy Onion Soup.

I had a hard time deciding whether I should get an appetizer or just stick with a main dish to lose weight. But I waited over 6 months for this! Also, my reaction to food is always


Sweet heavenly food.

So I said, "Screw it" and ordered the onion soup. It was so worth it, cheesy and warm. It tasted a little alcoholic too.


Tuna Tacos.
Flo had ordered the Tuna Taco for her appetizer. The tuna is raw and the stuff the deep fried taco with lettuce and some kind of sweet and sour salad dressing. I had a bite of it and it was good. The sauce dripped all over my fingers though and everything I touched was sticky. Ew.


Lamb Parpadelle

The first time I came to Deville, I had ordered this very dish and I almost swooned. There was a really generous portion of shredded lamb (I love lamb) and the pasta was cooked perfectly. The taste of the lamb was embedded in the pasta and ghkdnaklsebgkanekgnladg. So good. It came in a giant portion too! It doesn't look very big in the picture but it was almost never ending, I kept eating but the pasta didn't look like there was any less! Carolina ordered the same thing as me and we both doggy bagged it and brought it home for lunch the next day.


Flo's Chop Chop Salad

I was really surprised at how good this salad was! It doesn't look like much but it was so tasty! Probably because there was a lot of cheese. I'm going to order this the next time I go back to Deville (hopefully not in 6 months though).

Flo and I ordered dessert (obviously), even though we were pretty full. They have really yummy looking desserts on the menu so we each ordered one. She had the Chips Ahoy milkshake while I had the banana split.


Milkshakes

Mine actually tasted like banana split and it was really good! I loved it, they even put slices of banana on the side too! Flo's tasted...weird. They also put two whole cookies INSIDE the milkshake. Flo was poking at it with her straw and she thought it was ice cream but when she lifted, it was a whole cookie XD. Not one, but two.


Banana Split Milkshake

I wasn't able to finish my milkshake (too bad, it was so good) so I let Flo have the rest since she wasn't too crazy about hers. Aaah, it was such a satisfying meal and it gave me enough energy to draw myself back outside (it was like -25 Celsius).

I hope you enjoyed this post! I know it's a little different from my regular posts, which are mostly about kawaii but a little diversity never hurt anyone. Which dish would you like to try?

0 comments: